How are you? So far so good I hope and rocking your gorgeous natural hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Another year gone and this one is flying by as fast as it can, hahaha, but before January goes by, thought, my WordPress Viewers deserves a new post and better updates, hahaha, its so much easier and will try to implement new technology so I can do at least weekly or bi-weekly posts which is my goal from this upcoming week, so cannot wait and do hope you like the new content that will be flowing in so stay tuned.
Now, let’s get down to business – Hair Pics taken January 11th 2018 – Thursday
Updates on My 4C Hair:
- My Tresses are coming along healthy and growth has been good this part year, slowly but surely.
- Biotin, it does maintain my hair health, drinking once a week now, which is more than adequate.
- Simple Regimen is working so sticking to what works as you all well know, if not broke, do not fix.
- It appears that my hair time frame has hit it’s length and that is perfectly fine for me, it is what it is.
- Overnight Oil Treatments are absolutely amazing and get the job done of detangling done quickly.
- Okra Treatments did their job and nurtured her back to health, slowly but surely, that is how it works
- Go to Styles have remained the same, 2 Strand Ewists, have been doing just eight and then style as I go.
2018 To Work on List:
- Moisturize on a weekly basis early in the day so can be dry by nighttime, will do this on Saturday.
- Eat healthier, for this means, more vegetables, fruits and for health reasons, no dairy, wheat and rice.
- Wrap tresses up at night with a silk scarf, will keep her moisturized so in the morning, its easier to style.
- Plan my wash days once every 2 weeks, this has been difficult so will do on Thursdays, every other week.
- Drink more water, I have to truly work on this, starting small, a glass a day and increase to 2 glasses, etc.
- Sit back and just enjoy hair journey, many times we do not enjoy what we have, not this year, will be fun!
- Due to my hair being longer, have to take extra care of my ends to avoid breakage and moisture is key.
2018 4C Natural Hair Regimen:
- Simple Hair Regimen will continue, no more Okra Treatments, have started another growth remedy.
- Products for Overnight Oil Treatments: Olive, Shea Butter or Corn Oil, apply, twist and place cap.
- Products for Wash Day: Soak hair, wash -Bonawell Shampoo, rinse, detangle -Biotin Conditioner, rinse.
- Products for Wash Day: Apply Rice Water to Tresses, leave in 30 minutes, apply shower cap, then rinse.
- Products for Styling: Hair Mix: Tresseme Conditioner, Curls Unleashed Curl Defining Cream & Castor Oil.
- Go to Style: My go to 2 strand large twists. For special occasions, will do smaller twists or mini twists.
- Weekly Maintenance: Have to think of a good hair spritz, once I figure out which one, will update.
Picture Courtesy of PixaBay
Rice Water Hair Rinse – What are the Benefits:
- “Rice water is a milky liquid which is left after washing rice. It has been used traditionally in the treatment of skin and hair. Rice water has vitamin B, C, E, and minerals, which help in tightening skin and shrinkage of open pores on face. It also promotes skin cell growth, stimulates blood flow, and slows down the aging process”. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_water
- “Rinsing or washing your hair with rice water will improve manageability and protect it from future damage. In addition, the amino acids in the rice water strengthen the hair roots, add volume and sheen and make hair silky smooth”. http://www.hairbuddha.net/rice-water-for-gorgeous-hair-and-flawless-skin/
- “Rice water looks like a milky liquid, and that’s because of the starch residue left behind from the rice. It is rich in minerals and vitamins and makes for a healthy drink. Rice water tightens your skin and improves the health of your hair. It also enhances blood circulation in your body, aids skin cell growth, and keeps your skin looking young and rejuvenated”. http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/basic-steps-to-prepare-rice-water-for-hair/#gref
- “As mentioned, the Yao women of the Chinese village of Huangluo have long-believed that rice water is the secret to their healthy, shiny tresses. It helps detangle and improve hair elasticity as well. In a study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science in 2010, researchers showed that using rice water as a hair treatment, referred to as Yu-Su-Ru, offered significant benefits, including reducing surface friction and increasing hair elasticity”. http://www.naturallivingideas.com/rice-water/
After doing extensive research on this method and asking around, viewing the results of others, have decided to try this method for myself for 1 year to see how it works. Now let me tell you, if you cannot take extremely strong smells, do not even attempt to try this, because this is the strongest scent have smelled yet in my life, I mean, the struggle is real, hahahaha. You just gotta think, this is benefiting my hair, its good for my tresses even of my nose is like, I am outta here, BYE!!!!!!!! Also you must rinse it all out of your hair completely, you cannot leave even a bit in your hair, None! The usual method used by many are either to boil the rice in water for bit and use that, or to let sit in water for 24 to 48 hours, then rinse your hair out, the method varies and as always, you do what works for you of course, do your research and adapt to your hair needs if you want to try.
Picture Courtesy of PixaBay
My Rice Water Hair Rinse – Method:
Whom can teach us better than those who came up with the idea, and they are the amazing and beautiful women of the Huangluo village in South-West China, they are of the Yao Ethnic Group in China’s Guangxi Province, please do research and google, you will be be fascinated. Of course, we cannot do it as exactly as they do, no easy accessible spring water here, the roots we have are much different and would love to grow my own rice, but we work with what we have and go from there. Here is what I plan to do:
- Part 1 – The process is simplicity itself. Purchase any rice of your choice, white rice, brown rice, wild rice, as long as you get rice, not parboiled one though, this one does not work as well. Then, you get a glass or ceramic container with a tight lid, place in the amount of rice with double the amount of water. Store in a cool place outside from 24 to 48 hours tops, any longer than than, please store in fridge up to one week.
- Part 2 – How much would you say is best to use, well here are my estimates, I am no expert on this or anything but just an idea, tweak as you go: Short Hair – 1 Cup of Rice and 2 Cups of Water, Medium Length Hair – 2 Cups of Rice and 4 Cups of Water, Long Hair – 4 Cups of Rice and 8 Cups of Water, Extremely Long Hair – 8 cups of Rice and 16 cups of Water. Tweak to your hair needs!
- Part 3 – Usage: Make sure before you use this on your tresses, you have shampooed and conditioned your hair. You want to add this as part of your final wash day process. Once ready, simply pour unto your hair, making sure you get it unto your scalp, ends, and all your hair, if you have not fainted by now, good!!! Place on your shower cap, endure for 30 minutes and then fully rinse out all of the rice water.
- Part 4 – Per the video of the Women of the Yao Ethnic Group in China’s Guangxi Province, they store their rice water up to a month in a ceramic pot, and place other raw ingredients in, such as chinese bark, citrus peels, oils, etc. So my sister and I will try this, store for one month, hers in a ceramic pot and mines in a glass pot, will see how this one works in comparison with the others and keep you posted.
Thank you so much for reading and supporting me on my hair journey, now have 460 followers on WordPress and 223 followers on Instagram!!! Please know that I appreciate each and every one of you with me on my hair journey and to many more posts in the years to come. If you have any tips, questions, advice or inquiries, please just post in comments, email or IG me and will get back to you within 24 hours, see you around my dears.
“Isle of Azure”