!!!WELCOME TO ISLANDKYNKS BLOG FEATURE!!!
Our following guest is one of our Mixtress Naturals, who does amazing videos as well as hair recipes.
She gorgeous, has amazing curls and is so kind, this girl knows what she is talking about so let’s meet her!
Here is her Natural Hair Story, do enjoy my divas:
1) Please introduce your amazing self.
A: Hi! My name is Marianne (known as Maicurls online) and I am German/Nigerian. I am a Marketing Manager in the Tourism industry by profession and I am an avid natural hair and skin care lover and an even bigger DIY fan.
2) Did you Transition, Big Chop, Both, or Natural from Birth?
A: I transitioned for nearly 1 year from mid-2009 – mid-2010.
3) How long have you been natural?
A: It will be 5 years by mid-2015(which is crazy if you ask me!)
4) What made you return naturally?
A: I initially decided to go back to natural because I was tired of relaxing my hair. I had really damaged, brittle, dry, oddly colored hair (from relaxers and hair dyes) and it just looked/was unhealthy. I did not know that what I was doing was “going back natural” I just wanted to stop relaxing my hair. Also, my younger sister stopped relaxing her hair and when I saw how beautiful her Afro curls looked I thought that’s it…I am done!
5) How hard or easy was your first year of being natural?
A: It was really hard! LOL. I had no idea what I was doing, I didn’t have a plan or do any research whatsoever. In my naive state, I thought I was “alone”. So I struggled to try and understand what my hair liked/disliked. I almost wanted to give up!
6) What helped you the most, to remain natural?
A: The World Wide Web! Honestly, if it was not for the internet I am not sure if I would still be natural. After realizing there was so much information online, I reached out to others, bloggers, vloggers, people in forums, etc. I was able to learn so much and learn from reading, watching videos, etc. That is what saved my hair!
7) Your 3 favorite products and why? A:
- Water – water is obviously essential for moisturizing our body and this includes our hair.
- My DIY Leave-in Conditioner – my leave-in does an amazing job of giving my hair extra moisture.
- My DIY Whipped Butter – the whipped butter helps to seal in moisture and also helps to give my curls definition.
8) What do you love about your unique tresses?
A: EVERYTHING! I love that it is all my hair sprouting out of my scalp as it is meant to sprout. I have a crazy mix of curls and actually wish I could have MORE of it!
9) What is your least favorite task when dealing with your natural hair?
A: I am not a fan of detangling my hair. I have really fine and fragile hair which means I have to be super careful, otherwise, I end up with breakage.
10) How do you inspire other girls to return naturally?
A: I never want to “force” anyone to go back natural because it really should be a decision made by the individual however, if they just need motivation and encouragement then I am all in. I love talking about natural hair, different products you can use for healthy hair, hairstyles, etc. I also like sharing my own hair story and if that happens to motivate someone I am always honored.
11) So far in your journey, what is your favorite hairstyle?
A: My absolute favorite is a Twist-Out because it’s so easy to do. I can literally set my hair in twists before bed and then in the morning take my hair down and voila!
Natural Beauty – Styles Galore
😀 This post is proof that you do not always have to BC, you can also transition, Maicurls did for 1 year, hard but she did it and was successful 😀
If would you like to know more information about our gorgeous Naturalista, then on to her Blog: Maicurls
❤ Thank you Dolls for reading, many thank yous to Ms. Marianne for participating & You All Have an Awesome Day ❤