Bonjour My Darlings,
Here is recipe used and proven successful by my sister, who is also a natural. Have Fun lovelies!!!
Easy & Affordable Homemade Gel
Salutations! Here is a quick homemade recipe for hair gel…which you can find all over the internet, but this is my version. Enjoy!
What you will need:
- Water – Between 3 and 4 cups (use your judgment)
- Flax Seeds – 3 to 4 ounces
- Pot – Non stick is preferable, but you can use any kind
- Essential oils (Optional)
- Honey (Optional)
- A little patience (Goes a long way)
- Total processing time…approximately 20 -25 minutes from boiling to straining to putting away.
Pour seeds into water and set fire to high
Boil until water becomes foamy and the consistency has thickened to a gel like substance. To test the consistency, dip in a spoon (careful not to burn your hand), scoop out some of the liquid, and let it slide off the spoon. If it falls like regular water, it is not think enough. If it falls like jelly (Rather gooey-like), remove from flame and set to cool.
Leave for only a few minutes to set the gel, and then drain with a strainer. Be careful not get the hot gel on your hands, as you can get a nasty burn. Take precautions and use a mitten or a piece of cloth to keep your hands safe.
Once the gel is strained, clean pot immediately if you did not use the non stick version. The seeds tend to stick to the surface, and can be a pain to remove after it is cool.
Use a good container with a tight lid to store the gel. As it cools, the consistency will thicken even more.
- Add a few drops of essential oil, or two tablespoons of honey for a fragrant smell (Optional). If you do not wish to add any honey or oils, you may leave the mixture as is.
- Store in refrigerator. My mixture lasts for 2 weeks and remains just as fresh as the day I made it. (Unless I finish it first : )
- Gel can be messy! So protect your clothing and the immediate area as you apply.
- Hold can vary (Sometimes firm, other times softer), but is just as good and effective as store bought gel with the added benefit of being absolutely natural! No harmful ingredients here. : ) Sweet!