Every one loves going for a swim and in my personal opinion, the best I have seen our tresses is when we come out of water, because each curl is perfectly defined and our hair seems to sparkle like diamonds, absolutely gorgeous. So next time you go swimming, take your camera, get a friend take your picture as you come out of the water, you will love it, trust me on this one.
Now, as much as our hair loves water, we should prep our hair before going in swimming pools, why, well pools have in tons of chlorine plus other chemicals and we know that is no good, because it can leave our hair damaged if left on too long.
So what is a girl to do???!!! No worries, naturals around the world have compiled a way to not only swim as much as you like but also not having to worry about your hair, at least until detangling time, hahaha. So here are a few steps for you to follow……..
Before going for a swim in a pool:
- Saturate hair completely with purified water, let it soak in for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Apply any oil of your choice (Olive, Coconut, Soybean, Sunflower, Jojoba, Almond, etc) over all your hair, focus especially on the ends and the hair itself.
Our hair absorbs only so much water, so with it soaked already & oil applied, this will serve as a barrier.
When you return home from your day in the sun and water, here is a nice homemade treatment for your tresses.
Here is what you will need and what to do:
- Wash hair with your choice of shampoo (even if you only use conditioner, use shampoo this time, to remove all chlorine)
- Rinse with an cheapie conditioner (VO5, Suave, White Rain), or whatever you have in your home.
- Apply this homemade treatment, found here, (from Curly Nikki), scroll to the one named: Chlorine Buster.
- Follow directions stated, put a towel on top of plastic cap, that way you avoid dripping all over, hahaha.
- Wash homemade treatment out of hair. Your tresses will refreshed and soft to the touch. Follow up with your favorite leave in conditioner, then on to your normal regimen.
This treatment works really well on my hair, very nice sheen and makes detangling a lot easier. Now if you are protein sensitive, be wary because egg is protein so you might not able to do this, but no worries will post more recipes that you can use. If your hair loves protein, then go ahead and try it; if you have really long hair, you can double the recipe so you have enough.
Please let me know if it works for you & thank you for reading. Happy Healthy Hair Days.
“Isle of Azure”